Seahawks vs Us....

Carr returns with a flourish

David White

Friday, September 1, 2006

(09-01) 04:00 PDT Seattle -- Chris Carr, meet the end zone. End zone, this is Chris Carr.

The second-year return specialist showed once again why one is better than two when it comes to punt returns, returning a punt 72 yards for his first career touchdown in Thursday's 30-7 loss to the Seattle Seahawks at Qwest Field.

Carr was the primary kick and punt returner last season, but he never went all the way. His score came 1:07 into the game, and though exhibition statistics don't count, it gave the Raiders a 7-0 lead.

Carr fielded Ryan Plackemeier's 43-yard punt at the Raiders 28 and shook off two onrushing defenders as he broke right. Plackemeier got in the way at the Seahawks 40, but Carr ditched him with a stiff-arming cutback.

Raiders coach Art Shell named Carr the starting punt returner after abandoning a training camp experiment that paired Carr with Doug Gabriel as co-punt returners.

Brotherly love: Washington native Marques Tuiasosopo did not get the homecoming he wanted, but he did squeeze in some family time on the field.

On the final play of the third quarter, he completed a 5-yard pass to his brother, fullback Zach Tuiasosopo. It was their first connection in a game since the 1987 Turkey Bowl, when they were kids.

Marques finished the game 2-of-6 for 51 yards and an interception, which put a damper on the night. He played college at the University of Washington, and 17 relatives were at the game.

"It was like, 'Hey, I completed a pass to my brother,' " Marques said. "It is something down the road maybe 10 or 12 years that we look back and say that was pretty cool."

Zach said, "Not a lot of people get to do that. That is our highlight."

Bubble busters: Several young players hoping to make the cut picked a bad time to make a poor impression.

Tight end John Madsen let a short pass clang off his hands for an incomplete pass. Third-string safety Hiram Eugene got beat on a 12-yard touchdown pass to D.J. Hackett, but came back to finish with four tackles.

No George: The second coming of Jeff George could pass without a down played.

Signed by the Raiders on Monday, the 38-year-old George did not play Thursday. Shell said it's possible the team will carry four quarterbacks on the final roster, but one team official said it is not likely.

Briefly: Center Corey Hulsey and left guard Kelvin Garmon made their second straight starts in place of injured Jake Grove (shoulder) and Barry Sims (elbow), respectively. ... Strong safety Michael Huff returned to the starting lineup after missing a game with a sprained ankle. ... Starting defensive end Tyler Brayton had a 7-yard sack and tackle for a loss. ... The Raiders must cut their roster to 53 players by Saturday, which means 22 players will be waived or placed on injured reserve.
 
I haven't seen the game as I was babysitting.

When you have a young team, you are going to struggle with consistency but that will come. In one way, I am happy we lost because it exposes our weaknesses and makes us work harder toward being more consistent.

As always, just my opinion.
 
Terrible game last night. Not much to excite 'ya about the regular season. Yeah, yeah, it was only preseason and our 1's and 2's could muster 12 yards total offense in the first half. I don't see any way of spining that. We sucked hard.

I didn't have a good time.
 
We are getting calls...

Steve Corkran, of the Contra Costa Times, reports several NFL teams have expressed interest in trading for Oakland Raiders QB Marques Tuiasosopo, who could be expendable with the signing of QB Jeff George earlier this week.
 
I'd entertain the offers. The kid deserves a shot somewhere. I'm just not that comfortable with our QB depth after Thursday's game. Ewwwww. George doesn't improve the comfort level at all.
 
'Tui' might be odd man out
The signing of Jeff George could affect Marques Tuiasosopo.


By Jason Jones


Pundits snickered Monday when the Raiders signed 38-year-old quarterback Jeff George, who hasn't played in a game since 2001.
But it's unlikely Marques Tuiasosopo was laughing.


While the Raiders' 53-man roster must be set by 1 p.m. today, there's no indication if Oakland will keep four quarterbacks instead of the traditional three.

The Raiders have four quarterbacks -- Aaron Brooks, Andrew Walter, George and Tuiasosopo.

Of the quartet, Tuiasosopo is least suited for the Raiders' offense. He was drafted when Jon Gruden was coach and fits the West Coast offense that doesn't require the strong arm the Raiders want.

Since Gruden left, the Raiders have brought in Kerry Collins, Brooks, Walter and George.

"I am just being patient and keep working hard," Tuiasosopo said after Thursday's preseason game in Seattle. " … Just kind of the same thing for me every year. Just wait and see, keep pushing and working hard and keep trying to do it."

In a teleconference Friday, coach Art Shell wouldn't hint what the Raiders might do at quarterback.

"That's still a work in progress," Shell said. "We'll have a meeting to discuss those things."

George was the scout-team quarterback this week and has already caught the attention of wide receivers with his passing touch.

The Raiders could keep Tuiasosopo, the No. 3 quarterback, around for the scout team. His talents might not fit the Raiders, but they can help the defense prepare for an opponent.

Hamilton traded -- Defensive end Bobby Hamilton was traded to the New York Jets for an undisclosed draft pick.

Hamilton, 35, played for the Jets from 1996 to 1999. He came to the Raiders as a free agent in 2004 from New England.

He started 15 of 16 games for the Raiders in 2004 and 13 of 14 last season.

His spot on the roster this season, however, was tenuous. He had worked primarily with the backups in training camp and was a mentor to younger defensive linemen.

With Tyler Brayton playing defensive end instead of linebacker, and the addition of Lance Johnstone to go with Derrick Burgess, there wouldn't have been a lot of playing time for the 12-year veteran.

Out of the doghouse? -- Wide receiver Jerry Porter was on the field in the fourth quarter in Seattle, running out the clock with rookies and players likely to be cut today.

He has worked a lot with those players after going public with a trade demand in July and missing practice time with a calf strain.

Shell said Porter isn't necessarily buried on the depth chart. Shell wouldn't say if Porter was No. 3 or No. 4 behind starters Randy Moss and Doug Gabriel, but he said Porter could be on the field early during the season opener against San Diego.

"There's always that possibility," Shell said.

Et cetera -- Tight end John Madsen (ankle), tight end O.J. Santiago (heel) and quarterback Walter (knee) were the only notable injuries from Thursday's game.

Walter had an MRI that showed no structural damage. He hurt the knee while being sacked against the Seahawks.

Wide receiver Alvis Whitted missed the game with a groin injury while linebacker Darnell Bing (neck) is still recovering from the injury suffered Aug. 25 against Detroit.

The Raiders also reached an injury settlement with running back Joe Hall. He was placed on injured reserve this week.
 
Shell not happy with latest Raiders game
The coach wants to see his team meet some higher standards


By Steve Corkran

One might think that the Raiders would be ecstatic having won four of their five exhibition games, with their lone loss coming against the defending NFC champion Seattle Seahawks, on the road.

Privately, maybe. Publicly, coach Art Shell scolded his players, blamed himself and characterized Thursday night's 30-7 loss to the Seahawks as a setback in his quest to get the Raiders prepared for the regular season.

"It wasn't pretty," Shell said after the game. "No excuses. We got beat. We didn't play (well). I take responsibility for the team not playing (well). We got off the bus, and they were waiting for us. They got better (Thursday), and we didn't."

The question is, was Shell sending a message to his players that poor play is unacceptable in any form or have the Raiders come so far under Shell that they now expect to win every game?

Quarterback Aaron Brooks said he regards Shell's terse statements as part of the master plan, that the players need to care about winning as much as their coach, that the losing ways of the past won't be tolerated on Shell's watch.

"We're not the Super Bowl champs," cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha said. "We still have something to prove, not just to ourselves but to the rest of the league. You never want to go out there, in the preseason or not, and not play up to your standards. We can't regard this game as if it didn't happen."

At the same time, Asomugha said, the Raiders that played the Seahawks didn't look anything like the Raiders that we'll see Sept. 11 in the regular-season opener against the San Diego Chargers.

Brooks, for instance, played only six of 43 offensive plays. Most of the defensive starters played only 20 of Seattle's 75 offensive plays.

Still, there's something to be learned from every game, right offensive tackle Robert Gallery said. The lesson from Thursday night's game is that the Raiders still aren't as good as they need to be, want to be and think they are going to be.

"A game like that can light a fire and remind everybody that we're not as close as we want to be," Gallery said. "We can't come out like that. So, we need to use that fire lit under us to get ready for the opener."

Shell said he would like to use fire "to burn it up," when asked about the videotape of the game.

That won't change the outcome. Yet, it might further drive home his point that the resurrection process is best accomplished through steady improvement and not fits and starts.

In particular, Shell said, the Raiders have to be at their best in road games. Perhaps not coincidentally, the Raiders starters struggled in all three of their road games so far but looked sharp in their two home games.

"We have to learn from this," Shell said. "We have to learn that when you travel, you have to be prepared, you have to be focused on what you're supposed to do."

That focus might have waned a bit Thursday night, defensive tackle Warren Sapp said, but that's understandable in a game played mostly by players who won't be employed by midday today.

"Monday night (Sept. 11) the lights come on and the show goes on," Sapp said. "Let's go. It's what we've all been working for. Then you will really get a chance to see what kind of ballclub we have, for four quarters, against a damned good San Diego squad."

Notes: The Raiders traded veteran defensive end Bobby Hamilton to the New York Jets for an undisclosed draft pick, Shell said. Hamilton, 35, spent the past two seasons with the Raiders. He was supplanted by Tyler Brayton at right end this season. ... Quarterback Andrew Walter sustained a knee injury on a play in which he got sandwiched by two Seattle defenders. An MRI didn't reveal any structural damage. "Everything seems to be OK," Shell said. ... The Raiders need to cut 21 players today so that they can reach the league-mandated 53-player limit for the regular season. ... Quarterback Marques Tuiasosopo completed a pass to fullback Zach Tuiasosopo in the second half Thursday night. It marked the first time the brothers combined for a completion/reception since 1987, Marques Tuiasosopo said. "We have been on the same team (before) but we have never played together."
 
That was a nice return wasn't it? Wasn't it Madsen that sprung him? #10 right? He got down there and made the block that let him get started. No question why either of them made the roster.
 
Madsen's block wasn't pretty but he was the closest to Carr when he got in front of the gunner. From the replay, the man Madsen got in front of was the first to hook the hips of Carr but he slipped off missing the tackle.

I like Madsen a lot but, in my opinion, he was retained more for his potential and his future success than for now. He has nice hands, good speed and nice size. We want to bulk him up and improve his blocking but we were afraid someone (probably the 49ers for one) would sign him. I am happy for his future and that we retained him. Wish we would do the same for Buchanon.
 
Madsen lined up at WR in the Hawk game. He looks a lot more like a WR than a TE. I like the guy. He must have something pretty special to make the team. But then maybe we just don't have much talent on this team. That is a possibility.
 
Yeah, right now he doesn't look like a TE. We had him bulk up over the summer but he only went from 220 lbs to 235 lbs. Hard to imagine him thinner than that. I think there were some plays where he came in motion but then set up next to the right tackle. His blocking right now is like that of Fargas. I think in the offseason we are going to bulk him up some more like Adkisson...that seemed to be the plan early in training camp from the articles.
 
Back
Top