Raiders release Kerry Collins!!!!!

Crossbones

Draft this guy!
Joined
Aug 30, 2005
Messages
84,002
Reaction score
95,575
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders parted ways with quarterback Kerry Collins in a move to get them below the salary cap by Sunday night's deadline.

The Raiders were forced to cut Collins after the NFL and its players' union broke off talks again, failing to agree upon an elevated cap number that would have allowed teams to keep certain high-priced veterans. The team had been waiting for word on negotiations before making a final decision on Collins' future with the organization.

The 33-year-old Collins had a 7-21 record in two years as Oakland's starter and said at the end of the season he was willing to restructure his deal but would not play for "peanuts."

New coach Art Shell said when he was hired last month that he believed Collins could be a "great" quarterback for the Raiders, but the team still had to figure out what it would do with him.

The Raiders already made moves this offseason to reduce their payroll for next season. They released defensive lineman Ted Washington, offensive lineman Ron Stone and defensive back Denard Walker last week. They also declined a $10 million option for 2006 for safety Derrick Gibson. Those moves created more than $18 million in additional cap space for 2006.

Oakland also declined to use a franchise tag on Charles Woodson, who made $10.537 million last season.

The Raiders scored only 51 points, with just six touchdowns, in their final five games and lost their last six overall and eight of nine despite an offense featuring Collins, Randy Moss, LaMont Jordan and Jerry Porter. At 4-12, they finished with one fewer victory than in fired coach Norv Turner's first season a year ago.

Perhaps the most glaring statistic is Oakland's failure to win a division game for the first time since owner Al Davis came aboard in 1963 to coach and eventually own the team. The Raiders went 1-11 against the AFC West during Turner's two seasons.

Collins started the season well, but couldn't maintain any consistency. He completed 302 passes for 3,759 yards -- his most since 2002 with the Giants -- and 20 touchdowns. He also was sacked 39 times and threw 12 interceptions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2355736
 
Now with the CBA seemingly dead, the Raiders (Al Davis) may have to build this team through the draft.

This paves the way for the first rookie QB (Walter -- OK seocnd year who never took a snap) to really get a shot at starting for the Raiders. The days of building though FA might be histiry. Welcome to 2006 Al --- building though the draft is almost a forgone conclusion.

Having said all that the idiots who are fucking around with the CBA wil probably get it done at the stroke of midnight.
 
CrossBones said:
Now with the CBA seemingly dead, the Raiders (Al Davis) may have to build this team through the draft.

This paves the way for the first rookie QB (Walter -- OK seocnd year who never took a snap) to really get a shot at starting for the Raiders. The days of building though FA might be histiry. Welcome to 2006 Al --- building though the draft is almost a forgone conclusion.

Having said all that the idiots who are fucking around with the CBA wil probably get it done at the stroke of midnight.
Don't they have a 10 pm deadline?? :p Hopefully, the idiots will stop bitching about a 4% difference and just get it done!!!
 
Kerry Collins, Denard Walker, Charles Woodson, Ted Washington, Derrick Gibson and Ron Stone.

As far as I'm concerned, this amounts to addition by subtraction. Good, solid offseason moves - even IF I felt that Collins would have value as a 2nd QB.

With Gibson & Woodson gone, I have no more whipping boys on the squad.
 
There is still a chance they will gbet this done. But I'm not feeling that Collins would be recalled (if they allow it).

The rumors are really heating up about Culpepper to Oakland. Walter? Unlikely but anything is possbile at this point.
 
CrossBones said:
There is still a chance they will gbet this done. But I'm not feeling that Collins would be recalled (if they allow it).

The rumors are really heating up about Culpepper to Oakland. Walter? Unlikely but anything is possbile at this point.

Andrew Walter may be the heir apparent that so many people project onto him, but I think it's foolish to assume that he's "The Man" at this point & time. I say we sign as many QB's as possible and start mini-camps NOW. May the best man win.....
 
(post whoring alert)

As for Culpepper, I guess I have some interest - so long as we aren't sacrificing this years 1st or 2nd round pick in the process. We need to hit Home Runs with those picks IMO.

Looking like Mario Williams (IF he slides - big IF) or in all likelihood, Ngata. He would be the perfect replacement for Ted Washington. Perfect.
 
RaiderIVlife said:
(post whoring alert)

As for Culpepper, I guess I have some interest - so long as we aren't sacrificing this years 1st or 2nd round pick in the process. We need to hit Home Runs with those picks IMO.

Looking like Mario Williams (IF he slides - big IF) or in all likelihood, Ngata. He would be the perfect replacement for Ted Washington. Perfect.
post whoring alert? :p
 
But if releasing Collins was a cap move, acquiring Culpepper would require a restructure. Sure I'd rather restructure Culpepper than Collins, but still we'd be cap-strung.
 
The Raiders know how to manipulate the cap. I'm not worried about that. They may be dealing with that as we speak trying to get the Culpepper deal done.

BTW here is the offical - official - official --- Kerry is toast.
 
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top