Chiefs temporarily powerless


Well-Known Member
Jan 22, 2006
Reaction score
Chiefs temporarily powerless
Electrical transformer goes out at training camp on Saturday, leaving team with unexpected time off.
The Kansas City Star
RIVER FALLS, Wis. | - Herm Edwards wanted inconvenience for the Chiefs.

He got it in abundance when the Chiefs returned to the University of Wisconsin-River Falls early Saturday morning following the night practice against the Vikings in Mankato, Minn.

The part of campus containing coaching offices, meeting rooms and residence halls was eerily dark. Earlier Friday, about 2:50 p.m. and shortly after the Chiefs departed for Minnesota, an electrical transformer gave out.

No power meant cold showers, no air conditioning and little for players and coaches to do until electricity was restored about 3:30 p.m. or about 3½ hours before the start of the only practice of the day.

No replacement transformer could be found locally, so one had to be trucked in about 300 miles from southern Wisconsin.

The outage left the Chiefs more like tourists than businessmen. Since meals couldn’t be cooked in the dining hall, they wandered the town in search of breakfast.

At Perkins, Eddie Kennison and Trent Green shared a table near the one occupied by Ryan Sims and Jared Allen.

At the South Fork Café, where Edwards and some assistants dined, the head coach paid the bill and even stunned his waitress by leaving a $100 tip.

“She saw that and she was shaking in her boots,” Edwards said. “The poor girl didn’t know what to do with herself.”

Quarterback Damon Huard said he felt like he was on vacation, other than his stuffy dorm room at McMillan Hall.

“Luckily, I’ve got a room on the first floor,” Huard said. “I got a workout in at the gym. I had breakfast over at the South Fork Café with Kyle Turley, then I went over to the coffee shop and read the paper and had a vanilla latte. I’m from Seattle, so I have to have my coffee.

“I almost didn’t know what to do with myself.”

Coaches couldn’t watch their video from Friday night’s practice and therefore cancelled meetings with the players, so little work was done.

A cynic might suggest the blackout was the work of Edwards. He denied guilt but did enjoy the hassle it caused.

“This is what I’m talking about,” Edwards said. “Things happen. I told the players this thing was out of our control, but it doesn’t mean that I don’t have to coach well at practice or that they don’t have to play well at practice. All of this other stuff doesn’t matter.”
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.