Chiefs offense running smoothly at home


Well-Known Member
Jan 22, 2006
Reaction score
Chiefs offense running smoothly at home

Larry Johnson powers Kansas City to victory

By Tully Corcoran
The Capital-Journal
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Chiefs don't run the West Coast offense or the Run-and-Shoot offense. The Don Coryell-vertical-passing-thing is cumbersome.

Instead, the Chiefs run the High-Falutin' offense. That is, if you listen to coach Herm Edwards.

"When I got here, we had this high-falutin' offense," he likes to say.

After two weeks of no falutin' whatsoever, the Chiefs O faluted like it's used to in a 16-12 Governor's Cup win over the St. Louis Rams at Arrowhead Stadium on Saturday.

The Chiefs drove 64 yards in 14 plays on their first possession and took a 7-0 lead on Larry Johnson's two-yard touchdown run.

The drive was the antithesis of everything Kansas City had been in its two previous preseason games. It was the prelude to a night in which the Chiefs outgained St. Louis 262-191, doubling their production from the two previous games.

Dante Hall returned the opening kickoff and popped up slapping the ball and slapping hands.
That started it.

"For the most part we played with enthusiasm," Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said, "and that's good."

If the playcalling wasn't scripted, it might as well have been. On the first drive, they gave it to Johnson three straight times and he gave them 16 yards.

Then Trent Green completed a pass to Eddie Kennison. Then it was more Johnson. Nine of the Chiefs' 14 plays were Johnson carries. Four ot the other five were completed passes.

Johnson's touchdown was his first of the preseason and the Chiefs' first of any kind since Dee Brown scored in the first half against the Houston Texans.

St. Louis countered with an 11-play drive that yielded a 48-yard Jeff Wilkins field goal with 2:29 left in the first half.

An eternal 15-play, 77-yard grind put the Chiefs up 10-3 and ran 6:56 off the clock.

Green, who went 8-for-12 for 100 yards, connected on six of nine attempts on the march, converting a third-and-six situation by evading a rush and finding Samie Parker for a 21-yard gain to the Rams' 2-yard-line.

Parker tried to slide into the end zone and landed on his back via a body slam by Rams safety Oshiomagho Atogwe.
"We gave him a little bit of grief about his desperation lunge to try to get into the end zone," Green said. "Next time he may try a different path to get in."

With Johnson done for the night after nine carries for 37 yards, the Chiefs couldn't score. Dee Brown lost yardage on consecutive carries and Jordan Black jumped offsides on third-and-goal, leading to the Tynes chip shot.

Two long scoring drives were all Edwards needed to see from his first-team offense.

"The first half, we had the ball 18 minutes and they had the ball nine," Edwards said. "That's what you're talking about."

Rookie quarterback Brodie Croyle, making his debut, replaced Green for Kansas City's final drive of the first half.

His first pass attempt was a go route on which Parker drew a 35-yard pass interference call that put the Chiefs on the Rams' 39-yard line.

Croyle didn't complete a pass until the third quarter, though Michael Bennett's 18 rushing yards on five carries were enough to set up Tynes for a 50-yard field goal with one second left in the half which put Kansas City up 13-3.

"He's finding out that it's a different speed in this league," Edwards said of Croyle. "They brought some blitzes on him and they brought some cross dogs with their linebackers and defensive line."

The Chiefs went into halftime having outgained St. Louis 160 to 89 and nearly doubling the Rams' time of possession.
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.